Tuesday, September 2, 2008

A moment of doubt

After looking through many of the samples and rereading Annette's directions, I am now wavering on my topic selection. I chose something that both interested me and has some type of external value. As a teacher and a learner, I typically look for killing two birds with one stone ideas. For this assignment, however, I am going to have to reevaluate. There are other birds for the stoning, and one of those birds might just have the personal inquiry plumage I am searching for.

1. In the Spring I will journey to NYC with ten teens to participate in a United Nations simulation. We have our evenings free and get a full day of tourist time. I love visiting and exploring cities, and would like to take time to search out times, places, and sights in advance. I did this same trip last year as a parent chaperone, but this year my role will be more of a co-leader with a classroom teacher. Last year, I found the Mars 2112 (http://timessquare.com/Dining/Featured_Restaurants/Mars_2112/) almost by accident and the kids were delighted with it. I also found an Amish Market, near the UN, that proved to be an excellent place for lunch. For this inquiry, I might consider checking out off-the-beaten path, yet affordable eateries in NYC.

2. Another passion of mine is learning about alternative schools. I know NYC is a hotbed of experimentation and design when it comes to schools. I was able to visit a remarkable one in Harlem last spring which proved to be a highlight of my trip to the city. For this inquiry, I might consider developing a contact list of notable schools in the city and planning visits.

3. Lastly, I enjoy graphic design and fiddle with it with my children. Just this weekend, my son shared a design that he hopes to get printed on a t-shirt. I have always wanted to teach him how to silk screen, but haven't taken the time to get the know-how. Also this weekend, my daughter had her friends over to make shirts in support of the football team. This could be a cool family project.

---
So here is how my decision making usually works (or doesn't work, as my wife describes it.) I make a decision soon out of the gate, but then realize there are many, many more options, so I back up, brainstorm some more, right up to the eleventh hour, and then make a choice wondering all the while if there could have been a better one. After reading through the many research models, I think that I will next dabble into each of my ideas and see if any one emerges as the clear choice . . . since I have a little while before the clock strikes 11:00.

No comments: