Sunday, August 31, 2008

Topic: High School Writing Centers

I have the space. I have the cash. I have the gut feeling. What I don't have is a clearly articulated philosophical base from which to make decisions.

I am leading the efforts to establish a writing resource center in our high school. It has been a dream for a decade and a well-established need. I have already begun the research process, but I have not collected my thoughts, questions, and findings in a place that is public. So here we go.

The questions I am currently focussing upon include:
*How can we establish school-wide ownership of the center?
*What type of services do we hope to offer?
*How will our services not duplicate or complicate existing services?
*How can we involve students in leadership roles?
*What should the physical space look like?
*What are the top needs in the area of writing assistance?
*What types of models are already present in high schools?
*Why type of technology will best serve our purposes?
*What type of 'experts' are available to lend a hand?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think you should learn to text yourself then you'll see it's just another means of communicating. Kids haven't stopped talking since the computer and e-mail arrived. My 20 year old son texts pretty consistently during the day and night but he still talks, too. No worries, Dad. Texting is just another communication skill.