Thursday, September 4, 2008

YGTBKM

My decision is near, but before I finalize I just wish to document one more idea.

I spent the day yesterday conducting a climate audit for a neighboring school. It was an enlightening experience in many ways, but what I most enjoyed was the opportunity to talk with teenagers about the strengths and weaknesses of their school.

In the down time, I started asking each group of teens about their text messaging habits. It has been one area of new technology that I have been reticent to jump on board with. For nearly a decade, it has been my job to investigate and find applications for using technology in the classroom. I used to shake my head in disbelief when I heard of teachers and administrators who refused to use a computer. So, it now seems hypocritical of me to refuse to own a cell phone. I can use one, but I have no desire to dangle one off my belt.

Much to my dismay, my daughter wanted just one thing for her sixteenth birthday this summer: a cell phone. And her main reason was so that she could text. So much for quinceaƱeras.

"You don't understand what it is like, Dad," she said as her eyes filled with tears. "Everyone stays in touch with their friends using cell phones. If you don't have one, your friends don't call."

Long story short, I didn't buy her a phone, nor even give her my blessing towards buying a phone, but I did agree that she could purchase her own if she figured out all the details and paid the monthly fees. That's how she got her job at the local library. Since the fateful day in mid-July when she bought her phone and plan, I have been attempting to understand the text craze. She handles the responsibility well --i.e. no texting while driving, no texting during homework hours, no texting during family time -- but freely admits that she likely types 100 lines a day. Yesterday, at the climate audit, some of my synapses connected.

Joe: So would your prefer a different keyboard on your computer? One that allows you to type with your thumbs like you do when you text?
Teen Girl: That would be cool. I can text so much faster. And I have noticed my typing speed has slowed down on a regular keyboard since I started texting.
Joe: So what if you could just speak your message in your phone and it automatically converted it to text?
Teen Girl: Whoa. That is what I need. That would be amazing.
Teen Boy: Wait a minute. Wouldn't that be just like calling someone?
Joe (feeling smug): Yes, I think it would. That's my point. I don't get the point of texting.
Teen Girl: No, it's totally different! I don't like talking on the phone. It would be nothing like that. When I text, I have time to think. I can pause before I respond. I often change my message before I send it. I can't do that when I talk. Talking can be really awkward. Besides a sending text messages is so much more private. Everyone hears you when you talk on the phone.
(She was right. I remember sneaking under the kitchen table when I was a kid so I could eavesdrop on my mom as she perched on the stool tethered to the phone on the kitchen wall.)

So my light bulb went off. For the first time, I understand why my daughter likes to text more that she does talking on the phone. It gives her time to think. Time to pause. Time to paraphrase. Time to reflect. Time to say what she means and mean what she says. In the same breath, I am concerned. I am concerned that texting will make her feel more awkward in face to face conversations. I am concerned that she will feel uncomfortable speaking up in class or on the bus or with friends, if she cannot censor her thoughts and words first. I am concerned that the bulk of her friendships with be built upon shallow abbreviated expressions. OMG

It is nothing to LOL about, but one other topic of interest I wish to toss in the ring is text messaging. I think my closed mind might do well by spending some time on the topic. At least maybe I could quit wringing my hands.

No comments: